Tuesday, November 23, 2010

East Texas - Day-2

November 22, 2010 we started our trip heading further East.

1st Stop was Fort Bend County. This courthouse is also designed by the same architect that designed the Hays County Courthouse.

(#1 Fort Bend County Courthouse)


(Fort Bend County Courthouse)















(#1 Fort Bend County Courthouse - secured)















Today I was stopped by a very nice gentleman who wanted to know what "publication" I was with. He said he would be interested in picking one of the articles up when it was published. :) I explained that I was actually doing this for myself and that I may publish this one day, but haven't made that decision yet. He also shared with me that the inside of the Wharton County Courthouse was recently renovated on the inside, but he hasn't had a chance to take a tour yet.

(#2 Wharton County Courthouse)














(#2 Wharton County Courthouse - secured)















Although this is NOT one of the beautiful old courthouses I have previously posted, the drive during day-2 was great. We spent many hours driving on highway 6 which is right along the coast.

(#3 Matagorda County Courthouse)















(#3 Matagorda County Courthouse - secured)















Brazoria County is one of the unique counties that still have the original courthouse as well as a newer, modern courthouse. Initially I was sort of disappointed that we were getting just another square "modern" courthouse until I walked around the back of the new courthouse. That's when I saw the old one just sitting there. In addition to finding this, I also found a Time Capsule the town buried back in 1992 to be opened in 2042. So just in case you are interested in knowing what was placed in the capsule you can return in 2042 to watch them open it. :)

(#4 the Original Brazoria County Courthouse)















(#4 Brazoria County Courthouse)















(#4 Brazoria County Courthouse - secured)























(#4 Brazoria County Courthouse - Time Capsule)
















While in Bazoria County we also stopped to see the Stephen F. Austin statue. This thing is HUGE! First picture is by himself, but its pretty hard to get an idea just how big it really is so Steph and I took a picture in front of him in the second shot.

(Stephen F. Austin statue)





















(Stephen F. Austin with David and Stephanie)





















(yeah, you guessed it, he's not as tough as you think he is - Stephen F. Austin secured by Marvin the Martian)





















No comments:

Post a Comment